How the Timing of Caloric Intake Influences Fat Loss for Personal Training Vancouver
As far as I can remember, my dad and one of my older brother, Marc-André, used to reinforce to me this dietary maxim: Break fast like a king, lunch like a prince, dine like a pauper.
Now a recent study by Lombardo M, et al.( J Am Coll Nutr. 2014 May 8:1-8. [Epub ahead of print.]), aimed to shed some light on the veracity of this maxim.
They had two groups of 21 subjects follow a Mediterranean diet, which emphasizes vegetables, whole grains, fruits, olive oil, beans, nuts, legumes, herbs and spices and fish/seafood. Poultry, eggs and dairy were used in moderation, while red meat and sweets were reserved only for special occasions. The consumption of red wine, considered a staple of this diet, could be enjoyed if desired.
Both groups followed a dietary regimen which was made of 55 % carbohydrates, 30 % fat and 15 % protein. The main difference between the two groups was the caloric distribution throughout the day. Group 1 ate 70 percent of their calories at breakfast, morning snack and lunch, and 30 percent for their afternoon snack and dinner. While Group 2’s calorie distribution was 55 % for breakfast, morning snack and lunch, with the remaining 45 % for afternoon snack and dinner.
Subjects were tested with a dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry at the start of the study, and again after three months when the study period ended, to assess body composition.
The results indicated significantly improved body composition, metabolic parameters, blood pressure and cholesterol in both groups. However, group 1 edged out group 2 on weight loss, and insulin sensitivity improvement.
The research group’s conclusion was :“A low-calorie Mediterranean diet with a higher amount of calories in the first part of the day could establish greater reduction in fat mass and improved insulin sensitivity than a typical daily diet.”.
In conclusion, a 15% difference in earlier caloric distribution could help you reach your fat loss and health goals earlier.
Here is a link to our website: Ultimate Personal Training Vancouver, Fitness, Personal Development.